I have an XBC-LTE-M/NB-IoT Global (XBXC3) with firmware 11410 on it, and it refuses to connect to the mobile app. Authentication seems successful, but:
Could not connect to the XBee device >
The selected XBee device is not supported.
Please update the radio firmware definitions
(Options > Check for firmware updates).
I did what it suggested and it says "No radio firmware updates available." It seems like this should work, any idea why it doesn't?
I tried upgrading the firmware to 11417 and the XBee firmware upgrade worked, but didn't solve the problem. (I don't have a cable to upgrade the LTE module, so I had to revert back to 11410 to get it on the cellular network again).
I'm attempting this from a Pixel 3XL running android 11. It detects the device just fine, and a BLE scan from the phone shows the right GATT service / characteristics (UUIDs match) so I'm pretty stumped why this wouldn't work.
Note: I do note, too, though, that XCTU firmware updating fails, and the B.S. about "turn off your firewall / virus" isn't the problem. I know that's an easy answer to throw out, but it doesn't work even if I completely disable both of those, and I tried it on multiple computers. I'm not sure if these things are related or not.