Home/Support/Support Forum/Problems connecting to Edgeport\416 with Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Desktop)
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Problems connecting to Edgeport\416 with Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Desktop)

0 votes
I am trying to connect to an Edgeport/416 (DB9, model 301-1000-10) using ubuntu command line (cat). I can see all 16 ports using stty and ls /dev/ttyUSB*, but when I try to cat all I can connect to are ports 1 and 2. I have 2 416's and they behave exactly the same (one is brand new)

I have no similar problem using an 8-port hub...I can easily connect to and read from all the ports using cat.

I notice some other different behaviors between the 16 and the 8-port hub that are troubling, suggesting that something is not loading properly with the 416 unit.

I do notice that when I call $dmesg it says repeatedly that it is loading a 2-port adapter:

' Edgeport TI 2-port adapter converter detected'

It looks like it is loading ports in pairs

Clues? Wondering if I need to go to a different 16-port supplier?
asked Apr 4, 2017 in USB Serial by tcastrosantos New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
The current 'variant' of the Edgeport/416, that has the TI chipset, is technically multiple 2-port units bound by a hub chip, so that actually sounds normal to me, regarding the way it's detected. I don't think the hardware is defective, in other words. But you may want to try installing it on a Windows-based computer just for troubleshooting purposes, to ensure that all 16 ports are detected and installed (as COM ports). If all 16 ports "work" under Windows, I suggest bringing this issue up with the Linux community since Digi no longer supports or maintains the Edgeport driver for Linux.
answered Apr 14, 2017 by jeremym Veteran of the Digi Community (1,687 points)
0 votes
Firstly I am used window 8 on my laptop then recently I have decided to install ubuntu operating system but I have occurred some problem with Ubuntu Server when installing is progress and one more problem is that I fill the mail for the product key but there is no message drop in my inbox regarding this I will talk to https://mailhelp.net/
answered Mar 19, 2018 by Rocketmailsupport New to the Community (1 point)