Home/Support/Support Forum/UserFS in del
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

UserFS in del

0 votes
Maybe I've overlooked something, but nowhere in the documentation I can find anything on how to create and mount a user-partition. I'm working with an ME 9210 and Digi Embedded Linux, and the device is currently still running the factory-provided image and kernel.
Eventually I want to have a read-only rootfs and a writable user-filesystem for storing logs and persistent settings. I can build a new rootfs and flash it, that's well-documented so should be no problem. The partition table also has an entry for a UserFS, but if I try to mount /dev/mtdblock4 I just get an Input/Output error. How does one build a UserFS flash-image or format the filesystem? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Levien
asked Nov 1, 2012 in Linux by lvzon New to the Community (2 points)
recategorized Dec 4, 2013 by tuxembb

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Right, I figured it out in the end from the online documentation provided by a competing vendor of embedded ARM-modules. :-p

So for reference, you can format a partition as JFFS2 using "flash_eraseall -j <device> ".
Use "cat /proc/mtd " to figure out which partition you want to format.
E.g. for the module I was using, the UserFS was supposed to be on mtd4, so I did:
Code:
flash_eraseall -j /dev/mtd4

The partition can then be mounted, e.g.: mount /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt -t jffs2
The boot-scripts can do this automagically for you, if you uncomment the corresponding shell-magic in /etc/init.d/S05userfs.sh .
But of course you can also add the partition to /etc/fstab , or provide you own boot-script for mounting and other things...

Alternatively, you can create a JFFS2 image on a separate computer using the MTD utilities:
Code:
mkfs.jffs2 -r <file system dir> -e <erase block size> -o <output file>

Then you can for instance export the image via NFS and flash it using:
Code:
update_flash -v <image> <partition number>

Hope this will be of use to others who get lost in the docs trying to figure this out...

Best regards,
Levien
answered Nov 15, 2012 by lvzon New to the Community (2 points)