Home/Support/Support Forum/How many maximum modbus slave devices can be connected to a single RS485 port or TCP/IP of Modbus Master?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

How many maximum modbus slave devices can be connected to a single RS485 port or TCP/IP of Modbus Master?

0 votes
We are trying to develop a Modbus Slave Simulator which communicates to Modbus Master over RTU/ TCP/IP.
Modbus Slave Simulator application will be running on a PC and communicates to the Modbus Master over RTU/TCP/IP.

My question is how many max slaves can I simulate in a PC? As PC will be having single RTU and single ethernet port. How many max Slaves can I simulate over RTU and How many max Slaves can be simulated over ethernet port?

If I have to simulate max 255 slave devices, do I need any additional hardware to be considered. What additional hardware I need if I need have to simulate over RTU and TCP/IP?
I am trying to develop this Modbus slave simulator app in LabVIEW. As I am new to Modbus protocol, I do not have much information, hence posting this question.

Thanks in advance.
Giridhar
asked Nov 2, 2018 in Modbus and Industrial Automation by giridhar1985 New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Assuming you are asking "what is practical & expected", not what is possible.

A Modbus/TCP slave limited to only 1 client is pretty unusable. The most common situations are:
1) customer has 2 clients (master & backup) plus maybe a field tool, so needs at least 3 sockets.
2) during network hiccups, a client might go away and need to reconnect BEFORE your server frees up the socket, so a few sockets need to be available.

If I were creating such a tool, I'd offer AT LEAST 4 sockets, but 8, 10 or even 16 is safer. However, I think if you offer 4, no one can throw MUD at you! But don't go less than 4. 255 is crazy (& why stop at 255? TCP ports are 16-bit, so you could support 10 or 20 thousand clients! :-] )

As for serial, that is always 1 master/client per RTU serial port.
answered Dec 24, 2018 by Coralyn Seasoned Professional (150 points)