Home/Support/Support Forum/Modbus support on Transport WR31
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Modbus support on Transport WR31

0 votes
The short version: how am I supposed to use the WR31 to get data off of a Modbus device and onto the cloud (for an IoT dashboard/monitoring system)?

I recently purchased a Transport WR31 with the intention of using it to remotely monitor some industrial devices in the field using Modbus. I am beginning to regret this decision, as the only documentation I can find barely covers anything except how to set up the serial port.

The one other similar issue on this forum says that the transport only acts as a gateway between Modbus TCP/RTU networks, and that python would be necessary to configure the router to read a slave. The python bit at least gave me some hope, but I have not found any material covering that use anywhere in the documentation. The supported modules in the python doc doesn't even mention the Serial module, which I would expect to see when using a serial port.

The other question is here:
https://www.digi.com/support/forum/56343/need-help-in-wr31-modbus-rtu-to-modbus-tcp-conversion?show=56343#q56343

The python documentation I am looking at is here:
https://www.digi.com/resources/documentation/digidocs/90001537/references/r_transport_python_programmers_guide.htm?TocPath=Categories%7CDigi%20Hardware%20Access%7C_____29

Has anyone else used these products to monitor remote Modbus equipment?
asked Sep 7 in Digi TransPort Cellular by wolfts89 New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hi

there is a python script to get values from modbus device and post to device cloud.

you will have to ask tech support about it

regards

James
answered Sep 13 by James.Wilson Veteran of the Digi Community (1,047 points)
Hey, thanks for the answer.  I ended up getting in contact yesterday with tech support about it and they sent me python script and documentation.

I still need to work through it, but I believe it does what I am looking for.  It would have been nice if it was online with the other documentation.
Contact a Digi expert and get started today! Contact Us