Home/Support/Support Forum/Compiling 3rd Party Software with Digi-EL environment
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Compiling 3rd Party Software with Digi-EL environment

0 votes
For Digi-EL, are there any how-to's or examples out there to describe compiling third party packages into a RootFS image?

Google is failing me. :P

(example is I want to include 'screen' in my build which normally comes using automake/configure scripts)

Thanks,

-Ben
asked Apr 10, 2018 in Embedded Devices by bkamen New to the Community (12 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Best answer
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I hope you are not using cc9m2443 for new development as it is very old and EOL for years.
Below is generic example of cross-compiling open-source library and application for DEL:
this example involves library and application – if you only have an application skip libpcap part
If architecture is Arm9/Arm11 (ns9215, ns9210, imx28, cc9m2443…)

DEL 5.7:
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/

DEL 5.9:

export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/

if architecture is Cortex-A8 (i.mx5x)
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/

wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz

tar xvfz libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz

cd libpcap-1.3.0/

DEL 5.7:
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi --with-pcap=linux

DEL 5.9:

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi --with-pcap=linux
Or
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi --with-pcap=linux
make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install

cd ..
tar xvfz tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
cd tcpdump-4.3.0/
vi configure
Find in configure and change ac_cv_linux_vers=unknown to ac_cv_linux_vers=2

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
Or
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/ arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi

make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install
answered Apr 11, 2018 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (2,821 points)
selected Apr 22, 2018 by bkamen
Thanks for the answer Leonid.

Unfortunately, this is ongoing support for a legacy product. So the fact that the 2443 is EOL and out of date doesn't help that I have to add 'screen' for a current product. (sadly)

However, I'll see about trying what you've supplied -- it looks about like what I need to know.

Thanks a whole bunch,

-Ben
0 votes
if you just want to test something, you install SDK for your platform, run the environment setup script, then cross-compile and manually deploy to target's rootfs (ftp/scp).
Once you have everything working you can incorporate the app into your own yocto layer
answered Apr 10, 2018 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (2,821 points)
Thanks for the quick reply, Leonid.

I'm using Digi-EL 5.7 (no yocto) on a ConnectCore 2443.

So Digi-EL (5.7) installs it's build environment through it's modified Eclipse.

So when you say "SDK" are you speaking of Digi-EL or something I'm compiling in and sending to the target and then running this compile process on the target itself?

let me know a little more if you could,

Thanks(!),

-Ben