Home/Support/Support Forum/Can ConnectCore 6UL be used as an EtherCAT master?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Can ConnectCore 6UL be used as an EtherCAT master?

0 votes
As part of a mobile robot design, we were considering using the ConnectCore 6UL as a central processing unit to control a number of motor drivers and other peripherals. Since EtherCAT is gaining popularity for such platform designs, I was wondering whether ConnectCore 6UL would be a candidate for such a design. I realize this might require customizing aspects of the Yocto installation, but I wanted to confirm that this at least sounds reasonable to those of you with more experience on this platform before we proceed with actual tests and attempts to implement such a solution.

Any comments/feedback as well as examples from existing solutions are welcome. Thank you!
asked Mar 26, 2018 in Linux by saranli New to the Community (0 points)
retagged Mar 26, 2018 by saranli

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
The real question is can EtherCat be implemented in Yocto as it requires true real-time. There is not much evidence of it online. The closest I've seen is in this thread:
https://community.nxp.com/thread/389786
answered Mar 27, 2018 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (3,622 points)
That's a very good point. Since there seem to be implementations of EtherCAT master stack for Linux, I had assumed that to be possible, but I had not considered implications of the non-real-time nature of the OS. Since the IGH master seem to operate without interupts, that might indeed be a problem.