Home/Support/Support Forum/SMODE powerred from a USB
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

SMODE powerred from a USB

0 votes
RCM6700 board, SMODE controls program from USB as per the dev board, FT232 pin 2 (DTR) connected to RESET_IN.
In my final board can I tie (via resistor, switch or relay) the +5VCC power from the USB connector to the SMODE pin. The desired effect is for the Rabbit to enter program mode as the USB is connected without having to move a jumper as done on the dev board?

Will I have to reset the board manually after connecting the USB.?
asked Jul 20, 2016 in Rabbit Software by Henrik New to the Community (7 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
I guess you could try modifying your development board to test that, but keep in mind that the Rabbit I/O pins are 3V3 and not 5V. You'll want to use a gate to control the board's Vcc based on presence of the USB cable. Additionally, if you go this route, you won't be able to use the FT232 interface as a serial console (serial port A) when your program is in "run mode".

You'll want to test it out, but I think you'll need to manually reset the board when you disconnect the USB cable. My recollection is that the Rabbit only checks the SMODE pins at startup.
answered Aug 2, 2016 by TomCollins Veteran of the Digi Community (2,085 points)