Home/Support/Support Forum/Serial communication failing

Serial communication failing

0 votes
I've been working on a small project which implies the serial communication between a XBee ZB S2 module and a ATTiny84 (at 8MHz - 9600 baud). It had been working 95% of the time. Sometimes I had some issues with the serial communication, but was nothing serious.

Last week I've upgraded my XBee firmware to 29A0, and from that point forward nothing comes out of DOUT anymore. I even tried using a Arduino Uno to monitor if there was anything comming out from the DOUT, but no luck.

My XBee is configured as a XBee ENDNODE API with pin-sleep, so for the purpose of testing I have always DTR set to LOW.

Configuration:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<data>
-<profile>
<description_file>XB24-ZB_29A0.xml</description_file>
-<settings>

<setting command="ID">1335045</setting>

<setting command="SC">1FFE</setting>

<setting command="SD">3</setting>

<setting command="ZS">0</setting>

<setting command="NJ">FF</setting>

<setting command="JN">0</setting>

<setting command="DH">0</setting>

<setting command="DL">0</setting>

<setting command="NI">DOOR SENSOR</setting>

<setting command="NH">1E</setting>

<setting command="BH">0</setting>

<setting command="DD">30000</setting>

<setting command="NT">3C</setting>

<setting command="NO">0</setting>

<setting command="CR">3</setting>

<setting command="PL">4</setting>

<setting command="PM">1</setting>

<setting command="EE">0</setting>

<setting command="EO">0</setting>

<setting command="KY"/>

<setting command="BD">3</setting>

<setting command="NB">0</setting>

<setting command="SB">0</setting>

<setting command="D7">0</setting>

<setting command="D6">0</setting>

<setting command="AP">1</setting>

<setting command="AO">0</setting>

<setting command="SM">1</setting>

<setting command="ST">7530</setting>

<setting command="SP">7D0</setting>

<setting command="SN">3</setting>

<setting command="SO">0</setting>

<setting command="PO">0</setting>

<setting command="D0">3</setting>

<setting command="D1">0</setting>

<setting command="D2">0</setting>

<setting command="D3">0</setting>

<setting command="D4">0</setting>

<setting command="D5">1</setting>

<setting command="P0">0</setting>

<setting command="P1">0</setting>

<setting command="P2">0</setting>

<setting command="PR">0</setting>

<setting command="LT">0</setting>

<setting command="RP">0</setting>

<setting command="IR">0</setting>

<setting command="IC">1</setting>

<setting command="V+">0</setting>

</settings>

</profile>

</data>

Could you shed some light on what it might be happening?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Carlos Vicente
asked Jun 3, 2016 in Interface/Development Boards by cvicente New to the Community (6 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
 
Best answer
In the meanwhile, I found out why everything stop working from one day to another. I had a XBee break-out board that I was using when most of the circuit was working. While I was debugging my circuit for the occasional lack of data (maybe CTS and RTS control will help on that) I have changed the break-out board for another that I had soldered along with an update of the XBee firmware... and basically that was the problem. I concentrated my self on the firmware and completely forgot about the other variable I had inserted... the break-out board!!

I end up by going to square one on the project, thinking the problem was somewhere where it actually wasn't.

Sorry for wasting anyone time...
answered Jun 8, 2016 by cvicente New to the Community (6 points)
selected Jun 8, 2016 by cvicente
0 votes
Configure the node for Router AT 2xA7
answered Jun 3, 2016 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (13,100 points)
Hi mvut,

Thank for the answer, but I fail to see the point on changing it to ROUTER AT, since I want to use API and have it sleeping by pin. Could you clarify?
In order to use the sleeping functions, you must use CTS flow control. You also should use transparent mode till you have worked out everything before you switch to API mode and sleeping.  This makes it easier for you to work with and get it running correctly with your processor.  I would also suggest using Cyclic sleep with Pin wake to start with.  This way you can work out getting our Code correct with respect to CTS flow control and the Pin sleep function without having the module leave the network from the result of a long sleep cycle.
Hi mvut,

Thank for the answer. Actually is was something that already went through my mind. Actually I was also thinking on using RTS just to make sure that the XBee is ready to receive the commands I issue.

But anyway, in the meanwhile, I found out why everything stop working from one day to another. I had a XBee break-out board that I was using when everything was working. While I was debugging my circuit for the occasional lack of data (maybe CTS and RTS control will help on that) I have changed the break-out board for another that I had soldered along with an update of the XBee firmware... and basically that was the problem. I concentrated my self on the firmware and completely forgot about the other variable I had inserted.

I end up by going to square one on the project, thinking the problem was somewhere where it actually wasn't.
...