Home/Support/Support Forum/Trying to set the PAN ID and Node Identifier on a XBee S2B via programming from the microcontroller

Trying to set the PAN ID and Node Identifier on a XBee S2B via programming from the microcontroller

0 votes
Using XBee S2B units, I am trying to get them so I can set the PAN ID and Node Identification strings using rotary switches built into the device. The rotary switch (10 position) has 4 outputs.
I have figured out the programming (in C) to determine the value of the PAN ID variable by setting of the switch, and I have confirmed this by running the program in Code Blocks program (At this time, I am simulating the switches in the program so no physical switches are being used yet).
After confirming the code works in Code Blocks, I copied it to the project in the Code Warrior where I am trying to get it to work in the XBee units. I have the XBee S2B unit connected through the debugger and USB cables

signed long int panid;
// This declares the panid variable, that will get the actual value from the switches

xbee_cmd_simple(&xdev, "ID",panid);
// This will send the value of panid to the ID in the Xbee
xbee_cmd_execute(&xdev, "NI", panid,0x10);
//This will set the Node Identifier to the same as the panid
xbee_cmd_execute(&xdev, "WR", NULL, 0);
// This will write the changes to the XBee X2B module

When I run the program using this code, I will get a PAN ID of 0, and some funny hieroglyphics in the Node Identification field

If I hard code the PAN ID in the program ,like this, it will set the PAN ID somewhat correctly (it will convert whatever number is entered here to a HEX value

signed long int panid=1234;
// This is a hard coded variable, that will be used as the PAN ID

xbee_cmd_simple(&xdev, "ID",panid);
// This will send the value of panid to the ID in the Xbee
xbee_cmd_execute(&xdev, "NI", panid,0x10);
//This will set the Node Identifier to the same as the panid
xbee_cmd_execute(&xdev, "WR", NULL, 0);
// This will write the changes to the XBee X2B module

So, I have the 2 problems I am trying to figure out. The setting of the PAN ID, and the setting of the Node Identification string.

I am sure it is something fairly simple to get this to work, but the simplicity of it seems to be eluding me
asked Nov 24, 2015 in RF Solutions and XBee by ddb New to the Community (0 points)
edited Nov 24, 2015 by ddb

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
I guess both problems are with input formats.

Although XBee accepts most of the parameters as Hex input (including PAN ID), it takes NI parameter as ASCII input.

If you pre-convert your inputs according to respective parameter, then it should resolve your issue.
answered Nov 25, 2015 by asgm Veteran of the Digi Community (1,408 points)
Thanks for the reply.
I should have mentioned that I am relatively new to programming.
I know the problems lay with the format of the data.  However, I seem to be at a loss to find the information to convert it to the correct format.  Even a link to relevant code would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you