Home/Support/Support Forum/multicast groups from the coordinator

multicast groups from the coordinator

0 votes
Hi,

I want to know how I can create groups in a network to multicast these groups from the coordinator.

I am using xbee s2 modules in API mode.

So I can send only one message that have multiple nodes as destination, some kind of broadcast message but not for all devices.

I would appreciate if someone could give me some tips.

Regards.
asked May 20, 2015 in RF Solutions and XBee by idfuente006 New to the Community (5 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Without implementing it in your application and using some the addressing functions and API mode, I don't think you can on that product.
answered May 29, 2015 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (11,302 points)
Thank you for you response.

So you cannot multicast with the xbee series 2 modules?

Could you tell me which you refer when you said "using some addressing functions"?

Best Regards
As far as I can tell, the S2 or ZB modules do not support Multicasting.  I believe you must use the ZB SMT modiule for that function.

What I was referring to is that you would still have to issue a broadcast transmission but in your applcation you would have to determine if that packet was for you or not..
Yes I understand, but I think is not a good way to do it.

I read something in the manual relating to multicasting using the binding table, but is not very clear.

Thanks
That is correct.  Multicasting requries creating a Binding table and you send data to that binding address.  It is either this or send broadcast packets and implement the multoicast function within your application.