Home/Support/Support Forum/What purpose does the Keep Alive serve with an X4 CDMA gateway?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

What purpose does the Keep Alive serve with an X4 CDMA gateway?

0 votes
We currently have a keep-alive setting with our X4 cellular gateways. It is set to 15 minutes, and typically accounts for more than 80% of the data usage with our application, limiting our ability to purchase smaller cellular plans and making our offering less competitive in the market.
I cannot find any conclusive information as to the need for the keep alive, especially considering the Connect Tank device appears not to need it.

My questions are these:
1. Is a keep-alive needed at all?
2. If so, how often?
3. Is the ramification of not having a keep-alive that the gateway would have to negotiate a new association through the network? I assume that would require more data be sent during the association? And, if that is the case, then it would seem there is a happy medium where a system that is reporting few readings/day could do without the keep-alive and reduce the overall data usage?

Thanks.
asked Apr 10, 2015 in Digi Connect Cellular by daveand18521 New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
ing the association? And, if that is the case, then it would seem there is a happy medium where a system that is reporting few readings/day could do without the keep-alive and reduce the overall data usage?
answered Apr 11, 2015 by atifif New to the Community (3 points)