Home/Support/Support Forum/Do I need Device Cloud to make two remotely located Arduinos talk to each other via Xbee Wifi?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Do I need Device Cloud to make two remotely located Arduinos talk to each other via Xbee Wifi?

0 votes
Hello Digi-community!

I’m working on the topic of “remote presence” and have so far built a set of tangible objects that talk to each other via Bluetooth. Here are some pictures, video and other material: http://dasein-tokyo.tumblr.com/

In short, serial-in (pressure or heartbeat) in one location causes an effect in another (ex. leds gradually light up). I have used different Arduinos (Uno, Fio and Lilypad), programmed with Arduino IDE and connected to each other with Xbee-modules (of Series 1).

I tried replacing the regular Xbee Series 1 -modules with Xbee wi-fi:s, and everything worked seamlessly – yet only when the modules were both connected in the same local network.

Now I wonder whether it is possible to make them talk to each other from one Wi-fi module and network to another, for example from Finland to the USA and back?

Can this be done directly (from device to device) or would I need to pass the serial data through Device Cloud?
asked Feb 7, 2015 in Digi Remote Manager by EmiliaT New to the Community (0 points)
edited Feb 6, 2015 by EmiliaT

Please log in or register to answer this question.