Home/Support/Support Forum/Protect Intellectual Property on ConnectPort
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Protect Intellectual Property on ConnectPort

0 votes
There are 2 ways to accomplish this.
1. Prevent access to the files
2. Compile/scramble data so if accessed reverse engineering is difficult
Ideally both would be done. Here is what I have found

Python files that are uploaded to the connectPort remain after the user does a hard reset. Since the hard reset removes all protection the files containing intellectual property can then be easily accessed.

It seems the connectPort does support compiled python, but compiling the files on windows then trying to run them on the connectPort does not seem to work.

Is there any way around these issues? Has anyone dealt with this?
asked Oct 29, 2014 in Digi Connect Cellular by bgodding New to the Community (3 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote

Best answer
I've heard of others many years ago talking about having an encryption scheme to somehow mask their python execution. I never got details and didn't find out if it worked. Maybe it was some kind of certificates or hashing...

The Connect Port must have physical security. If someone gains access, it will be compromised. You can however setup a new default username and password. So if they they factory default the unit, they won't be able to use the stock username/password and get in. But if they are determined enough, they probably could get that information.

Engineering has never intended compiled python to be run on the unit. Nor have I heard of anybody successfully doing it.
answered Oct 30, 2014 by kjensen8 Veteran of the Digi Community (623 points)
selected Oct 30, 2014 by bgodding
0 votes
kjensen8,
Thank you for the reply.

I think modifying the defaults.rci file is my best best.

Solved!
answered Oct 30, 2014 by bgodding New to the Community (3 points)