Home/Support/Support Forum/How to copy/backup a Linux image (uImage) from Wi-i.MX51 to a host PC or an SDcard?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

How to copy/backup a Linux image (uImage) from Wi-i.MX51 to a host PC or an SDcard?

0 votes
I am not using DEL. Can we do it using Digi uboot command or something?

Thanks,
Panvadee
asked Jan 23, 2014 in Linux by panvadee_at_ausrobot.com New to the Community (9 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

+1 vote
If you running linux on the module you can dump any partition to a file:
# cat /dev/mtdX > imageX.img

Where X is a partition number from flpart. so du dum kernel do:

# cat /dev/mtd2 > image2.img

then ftp image2.img in to your host - this is basically your uImage file

To see if you can do it from u-boot check uboot manual here
U-Boot Reference Manual but saving it to a file might be tricky if possible at all. reverse engineering is not intention of u-boot. Why do you want to read kernel in to a file?
answered Jan 30, 2014 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (3,556 points)
0 votes
I have looked in the U-boot Reference Manual. There is a command to update u-boot, but no command for taking it out.

I have a board that working well, but not sure what version or how it built (I am using Timesys Factory). Before I wipe it and try the new uImage, I would like to back it up, just in case the new one doesn't work.

I will try your suggestion and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
answered Jan 30, 2014 by panvadee_at_ausrobot.com New to the Community (9 points)
0 votes
when it boots it should have date/time stamp and version info. and if it boots then indeed you should be able to save partition to file from userspace.
answered Feb 7, 2014 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (3,556 points)