Home/Support/Support Forum/DM firmware 8064 sending invalid (undocumented) byte in receive packet

DM firmware 8064 sending invalid (undocumented) byte in receive packet

0 votes
This morning i updated my Xbee 2.4 to latest DigiMesh 8064 firmware. Not sure if that was a good idea but wanted to move to the latest firmware to get latest features/bug fixes.

Now when node A sends a Transmit request packet (API ID=0x10) to Node B, then node B received the following packet.

7E,00,10,90,00,13,A2,00,40,6F,27,A6,FF,FE,C1,61,47,D0,14,F4

I have copied the unescaped frame for simplicity. The problem is 0xC1 value byte (i.e. receive options byte). As per the documentation, this should be either

0x01 = Packet Acknowledged OR
0x02 = Packet was broadcast packet.

Latest manual doesn't say anything about C1 value. Now my code is failing.

Here are the questions:

1- When digi updates the firmware, dont get release a matching documentation that lists the changes they made? If yes is that not product manual/user guide?

2- Where else can i look before downgrading to 8062 firmware. By the way my code works perfectly fine with firmware 8062.

Thanks all.
asked Jun 10, 2012 in DigiMesh Proprietary Mesh Networking by paracha3 New to the Community (5 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes
I think the receive option byte is supposed to be treated as a bit field, with the intent that new firmware could add meaning to the other bits. So you should check the value like this:
if (receive_option & 0x02): print "got broadcast packet"

So if you treat it as a bit field, your code should not break.

That said, I don't know what the new values are.
answered Jun 12, 2012 by kurte New to the Community (29 points)
0 votes
Great. Thanks. It should still help to know new values or feature changes with new firmwares.
answered Jun 12, 2012 by paracha3 New to the Community (5 points)
0 votes
Yes, I also saw this - was seeing 0x42 (broadcast plus some mystery 'soup') in some DigiMesh tests.

I was not able to discover out what it meant, but your reminder will cause me to push this via other channels.
answered Jun 12, 2012 by lynnl Veteran of the Digi Community (1,047 points)