Home/Support/Support Forum/How can I change the port for telnetd to something other than 23?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

How can I change the port for telnetd to something other than 23?

0 votes
I have a Digi connect me 9210 Linux development kit and I have written a basic telnet server application that takes commands from a telnet client to operate a peice of equipment. It all works fine on the port I have specified (26), but my customer would like to connect to it via the standard telnet port (23).

That port (23) is currently used by the OS for a shell connection. And I can't really disable the built in telnet daemon because I need it to change the devices IP address (Because I cannot seem to make ADDP work but that's another issue).

I have edited the /etc/services file and changed the telnet port there, but it seems to have no affect on the telnet daemon, it still sits on port 23. I also don't see an inet or xinet configuration file so I think Digi is doing something different, but I can't figure out what.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn
asked Jul 1, 2013 in Linux by Glenn Hamblin New to the Community (5 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
telnet daemon is started in /etc/inittab

In telnetd daemon init line add "-p portnumber"

build and install onto module. It will work
answered Oct 28, 2013 by tuxembb Veteran of the Digi Community (288 points)
0 votes
That answer sounds like the port has to be a hard-coded value prior to building the application.

Can the port number be changed during run time by a user-entered preference?
answered Apr 17, 2014 by gwillits New to the Community (24 points)